Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bumps along the road

Me and my best friend (Ms Chell) went on a camping trip to Sounds of Sumatanga an hour and a half from home this past weekend with our girls. I had my 2 youngest girls (my Eldest girl had other plans and couldn't make it), Mac and Abs and she had her 3: Eld, Rie and Roe. We got there and everything was going great. We had dinner at the chapel on the mountain, went to the assembly hall and played games and silly dances and headed back to camp.

First Bump: Got Fire?
I got Camp Staffer Bama Z to start a fire for us, yeah that didn't work out so well. We roasted marshmallows in between him dumping lighter fluid on the logs. Oh well, I open the back of my car and go get the marshmallows and put them in and close it up. I look around for the girls to tell them it is time to head on to bed and...

Bump #2: Where is Abs?
There is Mac, Rie and Roe playing in the dirt, Eld had already gone to bed not feeling well. That leaves one 2 year old Abs unaccounted for. I walk over to Ms Chell's car, "do you have Abs?" She said no. So we check the bathroom, nope. She sits the girls at the tables with strict orders of 'stay sitting at the table or die' as I run up the hill with a flash light calling Abs name. No Abs there. I run over to another camp fire and ask if they had seen a 2 year old. They hadn't, I gave a quick description as I was panicking now. They were gems! They quickly grabbed flashlights and started searching. I ran to the edge of the lake and called for Abs and scanned the water praying I didn't find her. Then one of the gems asked if we had checked the cars. So I ran back to check the cars screaming out her name. As I get closer to my car I hear a muffled 'momma'. My heart jerked and I ran faster. I jerked open the back of my car and there she was looking at me. I held her so tight thanking God. Then I wanted to kill her! But I didn't, instead we went to bed and I held her tighly in my arms until...

Bump #3: Can they stay with you?
Ms Chell wakes me up. Eld is running a fever and she is going to take her home, can the other 2 stay with me? Sure, we move everyone over and make room. This bump is no where near as heart pounding as the last one...

Bump #4: Got Keys?
We get up in the morning and I've got 4 kids ranging from 2y-6y. okay no problem. We start getting things packed up. I get something for everyone to carry to the car. They are dragging sleeping bags, pillows and bags of clothes. I load things up and then put the 2 youngest in the car. That way Abs wont get lost and Roe can unlock the door if Abs locks it. I give Roe instructions to not get out of the car. As I am leaving the tent with my last bit of supplies to load into the car but who do I see coming up the hill? Roe and Abs. I round them up and we head to the car. We set everything down and I go to open the back of the car. It's locked. Where are my keys? In the car! My spare key is no where to be found. The campers that helped me look for Abs are now trying to help me unlock my car. Nothing we can think of works, the metal hanger was to short. So we go to the camp office and MJ is there and says he has to go and get it but they do have something to unlock the door. Praise GOD! 15 minutes later I have keys in hand and we finish loading our stuff and head to breakfast...

The rest of the day went smoothly. The girls had a great day of moon bouncing, face painting, playing on the playground, crafts and playing in the dirt. I got to listen to some great christian bands and help paint some awesome stuff on the kids faces and made some great friends. When Sounds of Sumatanga was over we took the tents down and finished loading two families worth of camping supplies into my car. Loaded 4 kids and seats and hit the road home.

Bump #5: Need a vacuum
I gave the girls a bag of pretzels for them to snack on... the bag ripped. Pretzels and salt are now everywhere. Guess I know what sound I will be listening to tomorrow.

We did have a great time despite the chaos and Eld is feeling better. But best of all we ALL came home safe and sound! And next year? We will be back!

ROCK ON Sounds Of Sumatanga!

No comments:

Post a Comment